Aims of the session:
- Reflection on Progress: Take a thoughtful look back at the significant milestones and challenges encountered in the inaugural month of the LIS MASc program. Discuss both achievements and obstacles, fostering a comprehensive understanding of our collective journey.
- Exploration of Capstone Projects: Engage in a collaborative dialogue to unveil innovative Capstone Project ideas. Encourage participants to articulate their visions, exploring how diverse knowledge domains can synergise within these projects. Encourage creativity and interdisciplinary thinking to enrich the depth of our endeavours.
- Strategic Planning: Deliberate on the frequency of group meetings, ensuring they align with our shared objectives and individual commitments. Facilitate a goal-setting session for the upcoming month, spanning personal, professional, and academic spheres. Encourage participants to set tangible, achievable goals, fostering a sense of accountability and accomplishment.
Understanding Coaching in LIS MASc:
In the LIS MASc program, coaching means a dedicated faculty member, professional, or a current student collaboratively guides a small group of around five students to nurture and enhance their skills in three vital areas:
- Integration: Fostering the ability to integrate knowledge and perspectives from diverse disciplines.
- Achievable Goal-Setting: Empowering students to set and attain meaningful goals effectively.
- Effective Interdisciplinary Teamwork: Cultivating the skills needed to excel within interdisciplinary teams.
Highlights & Lowlights Exercise (10 min)
- Share a highlight from the first month
- Share a lowlight from the first month
- Check in on your intentions from last 2 weeks
Integrating the Capstone Project Ideas
Capstone and accountability for the year ahead (20 min):
Invite the group to have a discussion about their capstone project ideas and what impact they want their project to have
Capstone questions (15 mins):
- What is your capstone project idea ?
- How are you thinking about bringing together different kinds of knowledge for your capstone?
Additional prompts: — If you had no constraints, how would you communicate your final capstone project? — Who are the likely stakeholders? — What would a successful project look like? — What impact do you want your project to have?
Agreeing the group’s meeting pattern
Agreeing the group’s meeting pattern (5 mins with coach - 5 mins on their own):
Questions to deal with on their own (5 mins):
- How have you been preparing for the sessions you've attended in the last week?
- How often do you think it is useful to meet?
At the end of the session, the group will need to communicate to the coach the meeting frequency they’d like to choose (Using slides)
Introducing the Goal Setting dynamic to the group
Intention setting. We would like to help you keep each other accountable on those areas that matter most to you right now. Be as specific as possible
Filling out the LIS “Goal Setting” Board (5 mins with coach - 15 mins on their own):
Choose a colour at the Miro board and share with the group at least 1 accessible and 1 ambitious goal in each of the “lenses” we are looking at this course, for the next 2 weeks. Share your intention with the group.
At the end of the session, the students will need to communicate their goals to the coach via slides or Miro.
We will review them at the start of the next session.